Friday, February 13, 2009

Senior Project-beginnin

Alright, so I dont have any fotos yet, but a basic synopsis follows:

handkerchiefs=
i've done a lot of research on the history and development of the handkerchief as a cultural 'tool.' Among its tasks are snot-rag (obviously), token of affection, token of sorrow, the wiping of teared eyes, class establishment, code for sexual conduct, cheering (like at live game), booing (also at a live game or the passing of a despised leader). I would like to make an edition of at least 200 handkerchiefs with the word BELOVED printed on each one. Beloved because if its many functions and emotions. This list may include: love, sorrow, affection towards a friend, a lover, a family member, a stranger, a memory, etc. If there is such thing as a pure word, I believe 'beloved' is one. Ultimately, I want to use this project as a way to give. Even if the people who receive the hankerchief need only to blow their nose... at least I can give them that. (and then maybe later they will ponder a deeper meaning) I am tired of the process of art seeming like it stops when the viewer/participant leaves the gallery... it should continue. Its not that I want to be remembered necessarily, but I hope that an act of kindness and sincere love could be.

Cocoon Quilt=
This idea is not quite as thought out as the above one but, nonetheless:
This semester for me is about being able to comfort ones self. To deal with sorrow, shortcomings, loss, and the good things too... love, joy, etc. My goal is to design and print at least 3 patterns that deal with the experience of those emotions and the dealing with them: using symbols from history, and some of my own. The next step would be to use the fabric that I print the patterns on, as well as fabric from my grandmother's house to build a quilt. A more dimensional and interactive quilt (can you really make a blanket more interactive?). Ideally, it would act sort of like a sleeping bag... something you could crawl into and then there would be extra pieces that you would use to tie yourself into the fetal position. You would be able to get in and out of the comfort quilt by yourself... and blah blah blah. meaning in layers. make sense? ok then.

photos later.

No comments: